Seafood Health Benefits & Risks
There are a few people who don’t love eating seafood. With mouthwatering taste and attractive food design, seafood is actually a great source of nutrients. In fact, seafood includes protein, vitamins, and minerals in abundance. Seafood also contains omega-3 fatty acid, which is an essential nutritional component for the human body.
So, in this article, we are going to explain the health benefits of Seafood to ensure you are aware of its amazing health benefits. Let’s move further and read the article carefully.
The Health Benefits of Seafood
1. Seafood contains essential nutrients: As we have said that seafood is rich in many nutritional components, it is an organic source of vitamins and minerals. To be precise, seafood includes vitamin B, D, and vitamin B-complex (vitamins such as B1, B3, biotin, B12, etc.). All these vitamins and minerals help the human bodies to function properly including influencing energy, maintaining metabolism, and enhancing the beauty of your skin.
2. Seafood cures heart problem: Seafood contain omega-3 fatty acids, which extremely significant for your heart. In truth, omega-3 fatty acid reduces the danger of cardiovascular diseases such as strokes, heart attacks, and arrhythmias.
3. Seafood helps in keeping a good eyesight: According to a study, conducted in 2014 by the Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science Journal, seafood can improve your eyesight. Additionally, people who eat omega-3 fatty acids are less prone to age-related macular degeneration, which can cause eye disorder. Not to mention, if you eat sea fish (shellfish), your night vision will enhance greatly, keeping your eyesight bright and strong.
4. Seafood boosts your brainpower: People who eat seafood on a regular basis are less likely to suffer from Alzheimer’s disease. The reason is omega-3 fatty acids include DHA and EPA, which are essential for brain development of babies. A recent study has suggested that omega-3 fatty acids can improve the cognitive function of aging women as well.
5. Seafood is essential for pregnant women: Eating seafood during the pregnancy period can have positive effects on the birth weight of the baby because seafood increases the fetal growth and development. What’s more, seafood assists in reducing the preterm delivery and it helps in developing the central nervous system of the baby perfectly.
6. Seafood enhances immune system: As seafood is beneficial for reducing the diseases like asthma and allergies, it can also improve the immune system. Seafood contains omega-3 fatty acids, which has ‘Selenium’. This element is a p0tent antioxidant, which has the ability to amplify your immune system.
The Risk of Eating Seafood
Like other good things, seafood has some drawbacks, which can cause significant problems to the human body. Since seafood is part of the environment and food chain, it contains different contaminants such as the methylmercury.
Methylmercury is a heavy metal and a toxic contaminant, which is found in large and long-lived fish. This contaminant can harm the central nervous system of the fetus and infant.
Despite the fact that seafood contains mercury (a toxic contaminant), most scientific evidence suggests, eating seafood will provide you many health benefits. In fact, seafood can contribute to your cardiovascular, immune, behavioral, neurologic, and other mental health outcomes. So, if you fond of eating delectable food and at the same time, if you are a health conscious person, you should start eating seafood!